Blog

BROADCAST BY HIS EXCELLENCY BOLA AHMED TINUBU, PRESIDENT AND COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA ON THE NATIONWIDE PROTEST

BROADCAST BY HIS EXCELLENCY BOLA AHMED TINUBU, PRESIDENT AND COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA ON THE NATIONWIDE PROTEST

By Adadareporters My fellow Nigerians, I speak to you today with a heavy heart and a sense of responsibility, aware of the turmoil and violent protests unleashed in some of our states.Notably among the protesters were young Nigerians who desired a better and more progressive country where their dreams, hopes, and personal aspirations would be fulfilled. I am especially pained by the loss of lives in Borno, Jigawa, Kano, Kaduna and other states, the destruction of public facilities in some states, and the wanton looting of supermarkets and shops, contrary to the promise of protest organisers that the protest would…
Read More
What Nigerians Expect From President Tinubu’s Nationwide Broadcast  

What Nigerians Expect From President Tinubu’s Nationwide Broadcast  

By SHEDDY OZOENE  After three days of nationwide protests over bad governance in the country, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has scheduled to address the nation on Sunday. Chief Ajuri Ngelale, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, announced this in a statement, on Saturday. The spokesman said the broadcast would hold at 7am. The Protesters had requested that the President address the nation on the many demands they have laid out.  There is so far no insight into what the broadcast will contain and it is doubtful that Tinubu chose to address the nation because the protesters said…
Read More
Hunger Protests: Fish Out Security Operatives “With Blood Stains”, NLC Tells FG

Hunger Protests: Fish Out Security Operatives “With Blood Stains”, NLC Tells FG

By Jonathan Okpanachi The Nigeria Labour Congress has condemned the Nigerian security agencies are handling the ongoing protests against hunger in the country. The protests began August 1, to end August 10. NLC, in a press release signed by its president, Joe Ajaero, berated the lack of professionalism adopted by security operatives, which he alleged led to some casualties. The statement read, "With unconfirmed reports putting casualties at 40+ in in two days of managing the the EndHunger protest across the country, we have sufficient reasons (backed up by reports and video clips) to call to question the professionalism of…
Read More
Kenneth Okonkwo, LP Brouhaha: Letter To Peter Obi

Kenneth Okonkwo, LP Brouhaha: Letter To Peter Obi

By Charles Anike Your Excellency Mr Peter Obi and my beloved Comrade members of the Obidient Movement. It is with deep sense of respect and honour that I write you this open letter. I bring you special greetings as we journey in our collective resolve to take back our country from political bandits. The Obidient Movement has remained intact and undeterred despite outright intimidations from its foes. We thank God that despite all odds, the movement is waxing stronger, and multiplying its membership exponentially. We have also observed that Labour Party, which provided the platform for our principal in the…
Read More
Group Alleges Internet Was Disrupted To Sabotage Hunger Protests

Group Alleges Internet Was Disrupted To Sabotage Hunger Protests

By Jacob Okpanachi Facts have emerged on how the internet was disrupted to sabotage the Hunger Protests which commenced in Nigeria last Thursday. A group of 36 civil society organizations which monitored the development, condemned the action which it said was an "intentional disruption of access to the internet in Nigeria". It said the action constitutes an unacceptable breach of established norms and standards under regional and international human rights instruments to which Nigeria is a State party. In a statement issued on Saturday by the Media Rights Agenda, the group made up of 36 organizations, warned that “the weaponization…
Read More
Igbos Have Truly Become Endangered Species

Igbos Have Truly Become Endangered Species

By Ifeanyi Ejiofor In a recent viral video, Rt. Hon. Benjamin Kalu, the Deputy Speaker of Nigeria’s House of Representatives, stated, “IGBOS SHOULD SIT-AT-HOME AND NOT JOIN THE #ENDBADGOVERNANCEPROTEST BECAUSE THEY WILL BE SLAUGHTERED IF THEY PARTICIPATE.” MY THOUGHTS: I find this statement from a prominent Igbo political figure deeply concerning, as it essentially sought to encourage Igbos to waive their constitutionally guaranteed rights. If Rt. Hon. Benjamin Kalu had advised Igbos to refrain from participating in the #EndBadGovernanceProtest for any reason other than the fear of being slaughtered, I would not have criticized him as harshly, nor would many…
Read More
Ohanaeze Wants Prosecution Of Those Calling For Eviction Of Ndigbo From S’West

Ohanaeze Wants Prosecution Of Those Calling For Eviction Of Ndigbo From S’West

By Hadiza Suleman Those championing the calls for the eviction of Ndigbo from Lagos and other South-West states should be arrested and prosecuted. The call was made by the Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council Worldwide in a statement. Our correspondent reports that some interests, under the hashtag #IgboMustGo on X, are demanding the forced eviction of Igbo people from Lagos and other South-west states. They claimed Ndigbo are protesting against President Bola Tinubu's government. Reacting, the national president of Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council Worldwide, Mazi Okwu Nnabuike, warned that any attack on Ndigbo in any part of the country would come…
Read More
Group Berates Akpabio’s Insensitivity To Plights Of Nigerians

Group Berates Akpabio’s Insensitivity To Plights Of Nigerians

By Hadiza Suleman A media group, Volunteer Media Advocacy for Accountable Leadership, Saturday, said the Senate president, Godswill Akpabio, is a disappointment to democracy and the upper chamber of the National Assembly. According to the group's national secretary, David Enemali, Akpabio seems not to be ready for the position he currently occupies. Enemali said Akpabio, having been a one time governor, a minister and now the Senate president ought to know that he is not "a small boy" that in the past three weeks should be in the media for the wrong reasons. “How can the Senate president, Godswill Akpabio,…
Read More
Hunger Protests: Tinubu’s Options For Addressing Nigeria’s Economic Problems

Hunger Protests: Tinubu’s Options For Addressing Nigeria’s Economic Problems

By JULIUS OGUNRO Let us be clear, the reason for the widespread anger is hyperinflation, which has made the prices of goods, especially food, skyrocket. With an unprecedented inflation ratio of 34.19 in June, driven by more than 40 percent food inflation, the country is reeling as people find it difficult to feed themselves. A bag of Nigerian rice is over N80,000; a bag of brown beans is about N100,000; a bag of garri is N100,000; a crate of eggs is around N5000; a tuber of average-size yam is about N5000; a loaf of normal-size bread is between N1800 and…
Read More
Prosecute Those Threatening To Evict Ndigbo In S’West, Obi Tells Tinubu

Prosecute Those Threatening To Evict Ndigbo In S’West, Obi Tells Tinubu

By Hadiza Suleman President Bola Tinubu should immediately arrest and prosecute those threatening Ndigbo living in the South-West Region. The presidential candidate of the Labour Party in the 2023 election, Mr Peter Obi, stated this following a trending call by some people from the South-West for Nigerians from the South-East geopolitical zone to be evicted from the South-West geopolitical zone. Those behind the calls accused the Igbo of being behind the protest against some economic policies of the Tinubu administration. Recall that a person having the Lagospedia on X/Twitter, in a post, urged, “Lagosians and every South-West stakeholders to prepare…
Read More